Monday, December 1, 2008

Where I've Been

The following is a short summary of where I've been since I last updated (not including my 'Cat or Bird?' post).


First, is the Sunshine Coast. A little over an hour outside of Brisbane, I took this photo a little walk away from the Kings Beach in Caloundra. I liked it due to the lack of large amounts of people. Although tourists were present, there could have been a lot more. I'm still waiting to go to the Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast, probably one of the main beach attractions near Brisbane.


I also met some kangaroos at Lone Pine Sanctuary. Naturally, I wore my Kangaroo bag for the occasion. Although I've heard several Aussies describe them as "overgrown rats," I just couldn't see it. Despite one or two of them getting a little handsy when it came to giving them food, they are sweet and gentle creatures. The sanctuary also contained Koalas, emus, lorikeets and a cassowary. The Koalas didn't move much, except at the end of the day when they started what I can only interpret as a mating call:



The next picture is Bri and Justin near one of the many waterfalls at Mt. Tamborine:

It rained throughout the day and because I wore Keens (close-toed waterproof hiking sandals), I had at least five leeches sucking blood from my feet by the end of the day.

That was Wednesday.

On Thursday, our house hosted Thanksgiving for 15 guests. No one here celebrates, so it was pretty easy to convince people to come. I prepared a 4.6 Kg turkey, whatever that means in pounds. The feast was largely successful.

On Friday, we saw Bloc Party. Around 1am, we went to their DJ set (with Matt Tong and Russel from Bloc Party) and got a chance to meet them later that night.

So those are the highlights.

Throughout this time, I've been sporadically applying for a wide-range of summer jobs, which has proved hard. Pay here is determined by age, so any retail/low-end positions I apply for are generally given to 17 year olds instead of me. I've applied to a few temporary agencies and hopefully one of those will come through so I can make enough to do some real traveling later on.

1 comment:

lindsey howald said...

oh. ugh. i do NOT like that koala noise