Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Stradbroke Island

In case you aren't sick of me on beaches...

This is Kate and I, off of some rocks on Straddie. Bri's good friend, Gabby, has a place there that she invited us to use for the night. It was very spur-of-the-moment, considering I found out about the trip about 5 minutes before I left to go. Everyone in the house went (about 8 of us) except for Caitlin, Justin and Andy. Gabby, Kate and Gabby's friend Stef came as well. As far as beaches in Australia go, Stradbroke Island is my favorite so far-- stretching sands, clear water and enough shore that the beach always feels secluded. We didn't arrive until close to sunset, when this picture was taken.

This morning, some of the girls and I went for a 7am swim (it was too hot to sleep). The waves were much larger and stronger than I've ever experienced. Although my helplessness would only last for a span of seconds, I realized I somewhat enjoy the lack of control nature is able to force upon me. Similar to looking up at the stars, the giant waves curling toward me reminded me of the feeling of insignificance I sometimes forget. In other words, it gave me the humbling reminder that no matter what, there will always be forces out there greater than ourselves. It was a refreshing way to wake up.

For lunch, we celebrated Bri's birthday with carrot cake, bread, avocado and fruit. We read and played cards and when we were sick of that we grabbed a surf board and scurried back to the beach. The waves were much friendlier in the afternoon. I got Dan and Kate to teach me the very basics-- and I mean basics-- of surfing. The waves weren't big enough for me to seriously bother trying to stand, which I probably wouldn't have been able to do anyways. I got some scrapes on the front of my hips from the board in the water... I don't think I've ever been so proud of wounds.

1 comment:

ai-ball said...

glad to hear you have some sort of part time job, and that you're enjoying australia (i'm jealous of the beaches). i just sent you a christmas card, but i guessed on the postage, so hopefully you get it???? lolz. i miss you!