The FIRST THING I saw when I left the airport:
Crikey. After several roundabouts and a quick stop to his parents’ home, we arrived at Justin’s house. Its inhabitants have lovingly dubbed it as the “Bamboo Banga,” on account of the large amounts of trees, bamboo, and all-around vegetation that surrounds the house. It’s one of the coolest houses I’ve ever seen, as far as student housing goes. I’ll try to post a picture later, if I can get one that I believe captures the essence.
The people living here are just as wonderful. Other than JC, there is Caitlin, Andy, Steve, Brie, Dan (from New Zealand), Tom (from Zimbabwe), Shannon (also from Zimbabwe) and Ramon (nicknamed “Gringo,” even though he’s from France). And now there’s me (for now). It’s good timing, seeing as how someone (I forgot his name), a Maori backpacker from New Zealand, just left.
After setting down my bags, Justin and I got fish and chips (upon my request) and walked around the University of Queensland campus. All around the campus (and Brisbane in general), there were beautiful purple trees, called jacarandas. My inquisitiveness got the best of me, seeing as how I asked about the names of every foreign bird, plant and giant lizard we passed (most of which Justin made up names for, because he didn’t know).
After unpacking (it didn’t take long at all—I brought a lot less than I had thought), I sat down for a cup of tea with Shannon, Caitlin and Dan.
EDIT:
It tasted a whole lot better than live squid, although that's mostly because it didn't move in my mouth. Tender. Juicy. Slightly bitter. I like marsupial.
2 comments:
"Tender. Juicy. Slightly bitter. I like marsupial."
best quote ever.
G'day! I just figured out how to use google reader so I am going to check out your blog way more often now than i used to :) I am so envious of you being down under right now... I was there for two weeks when i was 15 and remember it vividly. Keep posting and I hope you have a good time!
Post a Comment