Caitlin took me to West End to go shopping yesterday. It is a lovely bohemian area in Brisbane with cheap ethnic foods and shops much more to my liking than those in the main part of the city. We went through many vintage clothing stores (I bought a dress at Box Vintage. It was the same price as if it were new but I couldn't resist) and "Op Shops," aka second-hand stores. After lunch at Three Monkeys, we went down the aisles of a random Asian grocery with our eyes closed and bought the first thing we grabbed. It was coffee jelly...
That night, I ironically ended up in West End once again at a place called the Shire. Gringo, Brie, a girl named Max and I rode bikes there to meet up with Steve, Laura and a bunch of Gringo's french friends. It was an outdoor place (I suppose it could be considered a bar) packed with all kinds of people playing instruments and drinking.
I met a few people who are on their work and holiday visas like me, though none of them were American. I've only met one American here so far-- but he's lived here for 6 years and may as well be Australian considering his accent has changed.
Whenever people last night asked me where I'm from, I'd tell them to guess. Their first answers were always ALWAYS "Canada." I guess I can't be too upset, since I feel as though every foreign country seems to have a plethora of Canadians compared to Americans...Why is that?
Anyways. The Shire in West End appears to be the cool place to go when you're feeling laid-back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
so what kind of visa are you on now and what is your long-term plan (if you have one)? note: you may choose to only answer the first half of this question.
Canadian...it's a sign. wedding 2028!
dammit. i meant to only add by 10...2018.
also I keep failing those "word verification" things...i guess i'm just having an off day.
Parker: I'm on a work and holiday visa, good for up to a year.
Pancho: Yeah, that's rough. There's no way I'm getting married when I'm 42.
ohhh i love that it's called the shire. do the new zealand lord of the rings tour next, ok? and i'll live vicariously :)
Post a Comment