Times are a-changin. I said goodbye to people today, some whom I won't be seeing when I get back (the Swedes and Bri, for instance). I quit both jobs, my paralegal job and teaching English to Koreans. I'll miss my paralegal job. Although it was by no means reliable, I realized how much I value the work atmosphere of a small company. I won't miss the teaching job for numerous reasons. Really, who could love a place where the elevator was made by a company called "Schindler's Lifts"? Ironic, but true.
Dinner with friends tonight made me realize how much I'll miss Brisbane. I've met so many fun-loving, down-to-earth, beautiful, expressive people that seem to burst with love through every pore of their bodies. I've learned a lot. I think I've changed a lot too.
Maybe it's corny, but there's still one moment that will always stand out in my mind when I think of my time in Brisbane. It must have been my first week in Australia. I was in the back of Roman's car, with some people from the blue house (where I'd just moved). We were coming back from a dinner at Gabbby's house and on our way to a dumpster dive (something I was still very much unaccustomed to). The windows were down and the air was warm. Bri was in the front seat.
"Leah, I have a song for you," she said. It was the song "Australia," by The Shins. She turned around and said "Welcome to Australia..." We smiled. I'm not sure why such a moment was so significant to me or why I still remember it. But it was- and I do.
Maybe it was the moment when I knew everything would be fine. Although I didn't have the words in my head at the time, maybe I realized no matter what happened or where I was, there was always someone around who'd be there for me if I looked hard enough. Maybe.
Good bye Brisbane, I'll see you in August.
1 comment:
i'm working on a project and our elevator consultant is schindler. i think they're a pretty big elevator company.
i like reading about your adventures. be safe and have fun. i'm jealous. come home soon.
my word verification today is "melyto"
Post a Comment