Saturday, July 26, 2008

Crack.

Today marks the end of my 3rd camp day. Is it okay to admit I'm already sick of it? I forgot how much prep work cooking takes. Not only that, we can never seem to get the cookies done on time. Although each of the teams (I divide the class into 3 teams) are able to make the ham sandwiches and eventually the cookie dough, there's only one mini-stove (maybe a little bigger than an Easy Bake) in the class room. To make things easy, my co-teacher cooks the cookies from the previous class while I teach. In effect, the kids get 1-2 cookies and we are left with a giant blob of cookie dough that grows with each passing class (4 batches of cookie dough per class, 2 classes per day). To wash the bowls, spoons, vegetables, etc., I have to send the kids to the bathroom down the hall since there is no sink available.

I'm on my feet constantly, with little time to do much else until 7pm. I think days will go faster as I get into the groove...It's going to be the small things that get me by.

For instance, we are encouraging the kids to speak in sentences. Each class, I teach the kids both verbs (such as stir, cut, crack, wipe) and ingredients (ham, egg, baking soda, etc). As students added ingredients today, I wrote "I am adding _____ to the bowl" on the board. One boy was cracking an egg into the bowl. When I asked him what he was doing, he said "I am adding crack to the bowl!"

I couldn't hold in the laughter.

Also, most people here cannot say "cinnamon". There's a punch desert they serve after lunch called su jung gwa. Some of the Korean co-teachers were describing what it's made of to the native English teachers. According to them, it's made of a certain kind of fruit and semen. After comparing stories, we figured out they meant to say "cinnamon."

Now it's time to go to bed for a fun-filled Saturday of teaching. Sunday is a field trip, perhaps I'll update after that.

2 comments:

dennis said...

guess cookies are easy to bake - how do the kids like the sweet taste of cookies - their diet usually does not have that many sweets?

d

Leah said...

Hi Dennis,

You're correct, they aren't used to the same kind of "sweet" we are. They absolutely love the cookies and I'm usually cornered to give out more. "Teacher, delicious!" is usually what I here. They still can't quite grasp why the cookies aren't hard though, like the cookies they buy at the store.